Our Community

Central Coast is situated in North-West Tasmania and comprises an area of 932 sq.km. The area lies at a latitude of 41 30' south and a longitude of 146 E , and enjoys a maritime temperate climate. Central Coast spans from the Blythe River east to the settlement of Leith at Braddons Lookout Road, and extends back from the coastline of Bass Strait to the Black Bluff range in the south.

Of the 29 municipal areas in Tasmania, Central Coast is the seventh largest in population.

The coastal town of Ulverstone is the urban centre, with the second largest town of Penguin located 13km to its west.

The longest river in Central Coast is the Leven River (90km). The highest mountain is Black Bluff (1339m).

The area enjoys a maritime temperate climate, with mean maximum to minimum temperatures* in mid-summer of 21 C to 12 C and in mid-winter of 12 C to 4 C.

The Central Coast Council area Estimated Resident Population** for 2016 is 22,313, with a population density of 0.24 persons per hectare.

The 2016 population for:

Penguin - Sulphur Creek - Heybridge - 5,198, with a population density of 0.81 persons per hectare (encompasses Heybridge (part), Howth, Penguin, Preservation Bay and Sulphur Creek)

West Ulverstone - 4,475, with a population density of 2.51 persons per hectare

Ulverstone - Gawler - 7,258, with a population density of 1.31 persons per hectare

Turners Beach - Forth - Leith - 2,920, with a population density of 0.83 persons per hectare

Rural Remainder - 2,478, with a population density of 0.03 persons per hectare (encompasses Abbotsham, Camena, Castra, Cuprona, Gunns Plains, Heka, Kindred, Loongana, Loyetea, Middlesex (part), Nietta, North Motton, Preston, Riana, South Nietta (part), South Preston, South Riana, Spalford, Sprent, Upper Castra, Warringa and West Pine)

Our Icons:

  • Dial Range - The Dial Range is a 5,200ha recreational area of forest reserves stretching south from the town of Penguin to the hinterland. This chain of mountains and valleys is the area's most prominent natural landmark and was given its name because the silhouette of one of its summits, the Gnomon, resembles an ancient sun-dial. Its peaks include (from north to south) Mounts Montgomery, Dial, Gnomon, Duncan, Riana and Lorymer. A popular location for activities such as mountain biking, horse riding, fishing and bushwalking, the Range has over 50km of trail.
  • Leven Canyon - The Leven Canyon is a spectacular 250m-deep ravine located 41km south of Ulverstone at Loongana. Worn over tens of thousands of years by rains and the Leven River which flows at its base, the Canyon's dramatic cliff formations and breathtaking scenery make it a premier tourist attraction for the area
  • Ulverstone Shrine of Remembrance - The clock-tower, located at the intersections of Alexandra Road, Reibey and Risby Streets, was built in 1953-54 as a shrine to personnel killed during World War 2. The tower stands 23m high and each element of its design is symbolic:
    - The base signifies a map of Tasmania, the home of the fallen who gave their lives for its freedom. - The three columns rising from the base denote the three services, RAN, AIF and RAAF. The columns are shaped like the spines of books, and squares of glass represent the pages where the names of the fallen are inscribed. - The series of links connect each column and, in turn, the three services. - The laurel wreath suspended below the clock, with its centre, the rising sun, looks down over the names inscribed. - The clock depicts time and eternity. - The torch of remembrance at the top completes the structure. - The 1914-18 memorial, which previously stood on the site, stands in the centre.
  • The Big Penguin - The Big Penguin was erected in 1975 to commemorate the centenary of the proclamation of the town of Penguin. Located on the Esplanade, the ferro cement structure stands 3m tall and is one of the most photographed landmarks in Tasmania.
  • Ulverstone Potato Processing Plant - Simplot Australia - Simplot Australia Pty Ltd has operated the vegetable processing plant located in Mason/Jetty Streets, Ulverstone since 1995. The plant is the most modern and efficient potato manufacturing facility in Australia. Key products are french fries, hash browns and potato granule.
  • Sir Edward Braddon - Edward N.C. Braddon was born in Cornwall, England in 1829.
    He moved to Leith in Tasmania in 1878 after holding various important administrative posts in India for 30 years. He was elected to the House of Assembly as the member for West Devon in 1879 and was a strong supporter of the interests of the north-west coast. He served as Leader of the Opposition on two occasions, and in between took up the appointment of Tasmanian Agent General in London, where he was knighted in 1891. He became Premier of Tasmania shortly after his return to Parliament in 1894 and held office until 1899.
    Braddon was also prominent in the federation movement and in 1901 was elected as one of the five original Tasmanian members of the House of Representatives. In Federal Parliament he rose to the position of Deputy Leader of the Opposition. He died suddenly in Hobart in 1904 and was buried at Forth

Please click on the link for more information about Ulverstone.

www.centcoast.tas.gov.au